• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

AAPC 2012 Salary Survey

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I thought this would make for an interesting discussion thread. I think these are very encouraging results. I especially like that you don't have to have an advanced college degree to earn a decent living. The discouraging news was that in the last 5 years starting salaries for new coders has not gone up. Hopefully that trend will change soon.

http://news.aapc.com/index.php/2012/09/salary-survey-2012-trends-show-growth-and-diversification/

The 2012 average salary is $47,870, based on responses. This includes credentialed and non-credentialed members; but, when broken down by credential, the averages this year look like this:
  • Certified Professional Coder (CPC®) – $47,796 (up nearly $900 from 2011)
  • Certified Professional Coder – Hospital Outpatient (CPC-H®) – $56,466 (up nearly $1,800 from last year)
  • Certified Professional Coder – Payer (CPC-P®) – $55,255 (up nearly $3,800 from last year)
  • Certified Professional Medical Auditor (CPMA®) – $59,365 (up more than $3,200 over last year)
  • Specialty credentials – $54,145
  • All AAPC credentials, avg. – $48,033
"It is discouraging to note that beginning coders’ salaries have not changed much in five years, while those with significant experience are seeing larger increases."

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I suspect that wages will go up a bit for new coders. My reasoning is that with all the Medicare changes and audits to save money they are going to start pulling experienced coders from the regular work force. It is just a thought. The key is going to still be to market yourself, keep a positive attitude and be willing to try something new.

Susan Lotz

I so wish this was the average salary for the area I work. I've been coding since 2005 and I'm not close to that!
o_O